Empowerment Living Room - The Power of Failure & Vulnerability
Time & Location
About the Event
MAY TOPIC: THE POWER OF FAILURE & VULNERABILITY
So much is said about vulnerability, how much courage it takes to be vulnerable, how leaders who show vulnerability generate admiration. When it comes to us and our own exposure, does it feel right, though? What is your experience with vulnerability? Do you have examples of when by becoming vulnerable, you actually found power?
Companies like Google and other so-called creative companies "celebrate" failure. Failure is a step towards success for such companies, a necessary one, without which wins would never come. Have you learned from your failures? Could you be the person you are without them?
We will use the Empowerment Living Room to explore how we can better use failure and vulnerability as power-tools, making them our friends. Join us if you have a meaningful contribution to that. Join us if you are searching for answers about that. Our conversations are open to all.
Empowerment Living Room - Guidelines & Agreements
This will be a moderated discussion, sometimes supported by a panel of selected skilful women over a topic that will be read at the beginning of the meeting Some basic agreements are asked for, so everyone joining is expected to follow such points.
They are as below:
· Listen to understand first, don’t interrupt others. Be curious and remember that attentive listening makes communication better.
· Suspend judgment, be considerate, allow dissent. Avoid cross-talking and reacting to what is being said. You don’t need to agree, just listen and be curious.
· Honesty and authenticity are welcome, just be kind. Share, based on your experience and values, understanding others may have different ones.
· Be concise, relevant, to the point. Sometimes we get lost in our stories, telling a lot of details, try not to do that. Remember to give others space and time too.
· Be proactive. Own what you say and take responsibility for making this a meaningful conversation for everyone.
Role of the Moderator: The moderator may interrupt, recalibrate or re-set the conversation. They will do so only with the objective of assuring the guidelines above, enabling proper time management.
General Format of the Meeting: The meeting will take 90 minutes following the agenda below (modifications may apply):
· Welcome (5’): hello to everyone, a reminder of the guidelines and role of the moderator and a brief introduction of who are the panellist if the case.
· Quick check In (5’): depending on the familiarity among participants a quick check-in will be moderated. This will vary from meeting to meeting.
· Intro (2-10’): the moderator will introduce the topic of the day. This will happen by the reading of a paragraph about it, which may or may not be followed by a presentation from the moderator or from one or more of the panellists, never beyond 10 minutes.
· Discussion Kick-off (2-5’): 2-3 Questions will be suggested to start the conversation. Participants will be asked if they want to add a question too. 5 questions are the limit.
· Open up discussion (45’): in groups of up to 5 (breakout rooms will be set as needed) and all participants are invited to contribute. Each room will have an assigned moderator.
· Reflection (10’): participants will be asked to take some individual/silence time to reflect upon the discussions they had and make their own notes. Sometimes, a couple of questions will be proposed. In general, this will be done in the main group, after the closure of the breakout rooms.
· Wrap up (10’): participants can share their learnings, insights or conclusions. Each participant should talk no longer than 1 minute + 30 seconds extra.
· After finishing the event, the room may continue open for 10-15’ for the ones who want to simply socialize. Breakout rooms will be available if necessary.
- Empowerment Living Room$0$00$0